Arlington in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The blacksmith shop played an integral role in the community in it's early days. He made and repaired farming tools and equipment, wagons and their parts, horseshoes, and household items. The community's first blacksmith was Perkins White, who operated a blacksmith shop in 1890. Later Alonzo W. Acred served as the community's blacksmith and operated the Blacksmith Shop that sat on the site where the Shop is today. Mr. Acred was also a charter member of the Masonic Lodge of Arlington, which was founded in 1908. During Mr. Acred's time as the blacksmith, the Masonic Lodge used the second floor of the Blacksmith Shop as their meeting hall, until they built their own building in 1947. Mr. Earl Beaver was later the blacksmith at this shop, until it closed in 1971. The last project made by the Blacksmith Shop was a covered wagon made by Mr. Earl for Sam T. Wilson in 1968. The original Blacksmith Shop, owned by Sam T. Wilson, stood at the current site until 1991 when, prior to being restored, it collapsed. The plan was to reconstruct the Blacksmith Shop with salvaged wood from the collapsed building, however, an arsonists fire destroyed the building where the wood was stored and the building was constructed with new rough-cut wood from a sawmill in Hardeman county. In 1999, Mr. Wilson donated the property to the Arlington Chapter of the Association
By Steve Masler, July 17, 2015
1. Blacksmith Shop Marker
for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA). The reconstruction of the Blacksmith Shop began the same year and was completed in 2000. Blacksmithing tools, farm tools and equipment are on display, including a blacksmithing forge. The forge was completed in 2003, and is one of the few working forges in Tennessee. The Blacksmith Shop is owned and operated by the APTA. The shop is open periodically and blacksmithing demonstrations are presented during special openings.
By Steve Masler, July 17, 2015
2. Blacksmith Shop
Location. 35° 17.788′ N, 89° 39.74′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker can be reached from Quintard Street just north of Walker St.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6236 Quintard St, Arlington TN 38002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arlington Historic Post Office (about 300 feet away); Harrell Farm Log Cabin (about 400 feet away); Hughes-College Hill Park (approx. half a mile away); Arlington Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Memphis's Civil War Sites (approx. 2.3 miles away); Grey's Creek Baptist Church (approx. 6 miles away); Old Stagecoach Inn (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.