Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Stanton in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Stables and Corrals

 
 
Stables and Corrals Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 18, 2015
1. Stables and Corrals Marker
Inscription. Corrals have stood on this site since 1855. The current rock corrals were built in 1877 to replace older ones that burned. These structures housed horses and mules necessary for Cavalry and freighting operations. When the hospital took over Fort Stanton, it began a dairy and ranching operation and added to the buildings surrounding the corrals. A granary, milk house, dairy, and silos were added to support the operation. Fort Stanton produced most of the food it consumed and even supplied other facilities.

“The men (Co’s B and D of the Regiment of Mounted Rifles) March and maneuver well on foot, less so mounted, Because many of them ride indifferently.”
“The horses are generally indifferent, 77 are reported serviceable … 17 have served 8 years; 19, 7 years; 2, 5 years; 13, 4 years; 10, 3 years & 15, 2 years. 48 have just been received from Fort Leavenworth.”


Lt. Col. Joseph E. Johnston, September 21, 1859
 
Erected 2014 by Fort Stanton Historic Site.
 
Location. 33° 29.728′ N, 105° 31.44′ W. Marker is in Fort Stanton, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker is on State Road 220 near Kit Carson Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stanton NM 88323, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Stables and Corrals entrance, silos from hospital era clearly visible image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 18, 2015
2. Stables and Corrals entrance, silos from hospital era clearly visible
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Stanton (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Stanton (about 400 feet away); Buildings 17 - 20 (about 500 feet away); Community House (about 500 feet away); Barracks / Dining Hall (about 700 feet away); New Hospital (about 700 feet away); Officer’s Quarters (about 700 feet away); TB Tent Cottages (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stanton.
 
More about this marker. This marker is one of an impressive complement of bronze markers with photo etchings which describe the extensive physical remains of historic Fort Stanton, New Mexico.
 
Regarding Stables and Corrals. AN EXTRACT FROM THE POST RETURNS FOR FORT STANTON, NM
RECORD OF EVENTS, April 1878 –
A fire broke out in the corral of Co “F” 9th Cav on 16 April 1878, destroying the shed, the hay and part of the QTR corral. One horse, the property of the U.S. and for which Capt. Henry Carroll 9th Cav is responsible was burned so badly that he had to be killed.
N.A.M. Dudley
Lieut Col, 9th Cavalry
Commanding the Post
 
Also see . . .  Fort Stanton Historic Site, Lincoln County NM. (Submitted on July 22, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
Fort Stanton Stables image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 18, 2015
3. Fort Stanton Stables

 
Categories. AnimalsForts, CastlesWars, US Indian
 
Dated stone outside support building at Fort Stanton stables image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 18, 2015
4. Dated stone outside support building at Fort Stanton stables
All stables need a horse! image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 18, 2015
5. All stables need a horse!
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 19, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement