Williamstown in Orange County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Inventor of the electric motor
Born on the West Hill July 9, 1802.
Died at the age of 49, July 6 1851, in Salisbury, VT.
Buried in Brandon.
Near this tablet stood the blacksmith shop where he learned his trade.
He invented and made the first
in Brandon, Vermont in 1834.
He had a "VISION" of the
great future of electricity,
and devoted his life to its development.
Erected 1927 by W.S. Davenport (Thomas Davenport's nephew).
Location. 44° 7.354′ N, 72° 32.481′ W. Marker is in Williamstown, Vermont, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of Vermont Route 14 and Brook Street (Vermont Route 64), on the right when traveling south on State Route 14. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the Ainsworth Public Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2338 Vermont Route 14, Williamstown VT 05679, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Davenport Birthplace (a few steps from this marker); Town of Williamstown (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); In the late 1950ís Rock of Ages experimented with making lanes out of granite... Norwich University (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Floating Bridge (approx. 6.4 miles away); Senator William Upham (approx. 9.8 miles away); State House (approx. 9.8 miles away); Vermont Equality For Same-Sex Couples (approx. 9.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamstown.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Thomas Davenport. (Submitted on July 24, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons •
More. Search the internet for Thomas Davenport.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 24, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.