Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
St. Mary's Episcopal School
St. Mary's Episcopal School is the oldest private school in Memphis. It has operated continuously since its founding in 1847, and during most of its existence has been exclusively for girls. During the Civil War, Headmistress Mary Foote Pope moved the school, along with many of its students, to Mississippi, to await the end of hostilities. The Sisters of St. Mary's directed the school from 1873 to 1910. Four of them and two priests, known collectively as the "Martyrs of Memphis," died while caring for yellow
fever victims during the 1878 epidemic. As Thomas F. Gailor, Bishop of Tennessee observed in 1901, the school never succumbed to "the mere social veneering which some people call the education of girls." The school was located at Calvary Episcopal Church, and then successively at St. Mary's Cathedral, in a building at 1257 Poplar Avenue, and at Grace-St. Luke's Episcopal Church. It moved to its present location at Church of the Holy Communion in 1953.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4E 136.)
Marker series. Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 35° 7.802′ N, 89° 54.512′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Perkins Extended 0.1 miles from Walnut Grove Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 60 S Perkins Rd, Memphis TN 38117, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Agnes Academy (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mullins United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Eudora Baptist Church (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Eudora Baptist Church (approx. one mile away); Second Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); William G. Leftwich, Jr. Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Holiday Inn (approx. 1½ miles away); This flagpole is dedicated to the men and women of the United States military services (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Also see . . . Grave of Mary Foots Pope, Headmistress.. (Submitted on July 25, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 179 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on July 27, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 25, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.