Decatur in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
“a place of importance” - Union Leadership at Decatur
“A Hard Nut To Crack”
— The Battle For Decatur —
On March 8, 1864, Union Major General Grenville M. Dodge and the XVI Army Corps permanently occupied Decatur and constructed a pontoon bridge and substantial fortifications. You are near where the southern entrance to the pontoon bridge was in 1864-1865. After the Army of the Tennessee joined the Atlanta Campaign in late April, 1864, a permanent garrison commanded by Colonel Charles C. Doolittle of the 18th Michigan Infantry, and consisting of 1,500 infantry and seventeen pieces of artillery was established here. This garrison would substantially reinforced in October, 1864.
The Federal army briefly withdrew the garrison to reinforce Nashville on November 23, but Decatur was re-occupied by Major General James B. Steedman
Erected by City of Decatur. (Marker Number 6.)
Location. 34° 37.009′ N, 86° 59.07′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Alabama, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Sycamore Street Northwest and Market Street Northwest, on the left when traveling north on Sycamore Street Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur AL 35602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burleson House (circa 1836) (here, next to this marker); Schaudies - Banks Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); Two Bridges Across The Tennessee River (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dancy-Polk House (circa 1829) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Leadership at Decatur - McCartney Hotel Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old State Bank Building Decatur and The Civil War in North Alabama (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hood’s Middle Tennessee Campaign and The Battle for Decatur (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for “a place of importance” - Union Leadership at Decatur.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,211 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on July 30, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 6, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.