Irondequoit in Monroe County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Seabreeze Time Line
c. 1879, The Park Opens
The park opens in 1879 as the final stop on the Rochester & Lake Ontario Railroad Company's steam train line, running from the city to the lakefront. Each summer, thousands flock to the Sea Breeze picnic groves for recreation and the cool breezes off the lake.
c. 1886, Rooms with a View
Taking advantage of beautiful surroundings, the Sea Breeze Hotel provides fine food and refreshments to riders of the Rochester & Lake Ontario Railroad. Irondequoit Bay is on the left of the hotel, with the park later being developed up the hill on the right.
1889, The Sea Breeze Hotel
The hotel, located where the Whirlwind is today, overlooks the lake and the bay, and offered fine dining, dancing and top vaudeville acts. While the hotel burns in 1909, a fountain - seen to the right of the crowd - remains in the park until the 1960s.
1900, A Day at the Park
The trolley car soon becomes the major method for traveling to Sea Breeze. Passengers get off the cars inside
1902, Training for the Industry
While spending off seasons in Philadelphia, George Long's family spends summers in Rochester and other waterfront spots, running their carousels. The first 4 train passengers shown here are George Long Sr., daughter Kathleen, Mother Long and son George Long Jr., - whose love for carousels blossoms into a livelihood.
1903, First Permanent Ride
Already established as a great place for picnics, a wooden roller coaster is added to attract new guests. Built where the Jack Rabbit is located today, the figure-8 coaster is a major attraction for its time. And while smaller in size, it's the start of something big.
1904, A Long Family Tradition
Members of the Long family build and operate their own carousels in Northeastern cities. George W. Long, Sr. brings his to Sea Breeze. The family also comes and lives in one of the two rooms attached to the back of the building. George W. Long, Jr. (age 12) can be seen to the right of center.
1906, Turning on the Juice
Electricity comes to the area, bringing with it trolley cars, lighting, longer stays by guests - and offering bigger and better rides for summer fun-lovers of all ages. The giant Circle Swing
1910, The Ships Come In
People come to Sea Breeze by boats, which dock at the pier north of the park. Ferries such as the "Ontario" and the "Thorne" arrive from Charlotte Beach and downtown via the Genesee River, and then make their way along the shoreline of Lake Ontario.
1910, A View of the Beach
As the Sea Breeze area develops, this boat pier and other lakeside attractions are built to handle the thousands of visitors who come to enjoy swimming, boating and picnicking. The pier was found just across the street from the park's northern end.
c. 1910, The Long Family Carousel
Over time the Longs make modifications to their carousel - such as adding rounding boards, creating inner row jumpers and carving new legs. This merry-go-round is later moved to and operated at Seneca Park, making room at Sea Breeze for PTC #36.
1917, Everybody Dance!
It's the 1920s and the whole country is caught up in the "dance craze". Sea Breeze answers the call by building "Dreamland" just north of the Jack Rabbit. The dance hall burns down in 1923, but "Danceland" is built a year later in today's Jack Rabbit parking lot.
1920, The Jack Rabbit
Using the area's natural terrain and an out & back design by Miller & Baker, a wooden classic
1921, The Virginia Reel
At this time, 3 roller coasters are in operation. The Virginia Reel is 1n the foreground, the Dips (later called the Greyhound) to the right, and the Jack Rabbit at the south end of the park. Note the sign that asks riders to pay as they leave.
c. 1921, Park and Ride
Always a popular destination, visitors come to the park by train, trolley, boat, and eventually the Model T. Familiar sights here include the 1915 carousel building and what is now the park office. The office building was later picked up and moved to its present location.
1925, The Natatorium
Billed as "The World's Largest Salt-Water Swimming Pool" at 125 ft x 30 ft, the Natatorium opens just south of the Jack Rabbit. Features include fountains, play elements and seating for water shows. Filled with filtered water from the bay, salt was then added.
1926, The Wildcat
Summertime in the Twenties means taking a ride on the Wildcat roller coaster. It was located just north of the Jack Rabbit, with its station where the Flying Scooters is today. In the background is the Midway - before its overhanging porch was installed.
1926, PTC #36 Comes to
Built in 1915, this Philadelphia Tobaggan Company machine is first placed at Rochester's Seneca Park, and then swaped with the Long carousel operating at Sea Breeze in 1926. Originally the machine needed no light fixtures, since the park closed at sundown. Lights were later added by George W. Long, Jr.
1945, Giggling Gertie
If you were taking a ride on the Subway, located under the Jack Rabbit, it was hard to miss Giggling Gertie. She stood over the ride entrance, laughing at everything. When Gertie was removed, some missed her face - but few missed her constant laughter.
1945, Take a Break at the Pagoda
After riding the Jack Rabbit, the Caterpillar, and the Subway, you could catch your breath at the Pagoda, a refreshment stand located where the Tilt-a-Whirl is today. Long a mainstay of the south end, the Pagoda offered 15-cent hamburgs and Anderson's Beverages.
c. 1946, The North End
A look northward offers a view of attractions like the Goofy House, Hey Day, Loop-O-Plane, minature golf, Thunderbolt, the Sky Ride and a popcorn & peanut stand. As America rediscovers its love for summer fun, George Long buys the park and renames it Dreamland.
c. 1950, Live On Stage
Guests flock to see live acts at he main stage area, located where the Log Flume is today. From horse shows and lion taming
c. 1950, Miniature Golf
In the 1950s miniature golf became popular, and the park built its own course. Located next to the Bobsleds, the course uses lanterns from the Virginia Reel to liven thing up; today the lanterns light up the Train Depot. Miniature golf at the park eventually gave way to more space for parking in the 1980s.
c. 1950, Staying on Track
The Scenic train takes you out for a beautiful view of Lake Ontario and Irondequoit Bay, at a spot where the water park is today. The original train cars were actualy mine cars, altered to carry passengers rather than cargo. Later the cars and engine were modified, capturing the old fashioned look that you see today.
c. 1960, Fairyland
Dreamland's new petting zoo is located behind the Bumper Cars, where the picnic groves are today. Visitors enjoy an assortment of animals like ducks, sheep, Henrietta the Tapir, and Spitzy the Llama. For an underwater view of the fish pond, you could walk into the mouth of a giant concrete whale.
c. 1960, Laughing on the Lightning Bug
Introduced in the mid-1940s, the Lightning Bug entertains guests of all ages for a number years in the spot where the Music Express
c. 1960, Over the Falls
Built in 1954 and powered by a giant paddle wheel, Over the Falls delivers the steepest flume drop in the world at the time. Other rides include a river boat ride on the Delta Queen and a trip on the scenic Train. Later, the U-Drive-Em Boats appeared in the Pond.
1961, Monkeying Around
Designed to help promote the park at parades and other off-site locations, this Crosley truck was made out of two separate vehicles. The chimp in the back was on loan from one of the free acts performing at the park at the time.
1968, The Bobsleds
In order to make the ride more modern and exciting, park crews rebuild the Junior Coaster and create the classic Bobsleds coaster. Using a ten state-of-the-art tubular track design and adding a third story, the new ride becomes a George Long and Seabreeze original!
1975, The Seventies
A look north reveals plenty of fun on the Paratrooper, Hot Rods, Manhandler, Rock-O-Planes, Enchanter and more. It's also the time of Report Card Days, Kiddie Fun Day, Carlos' Tacos and C. Breezy, complete with his green polyester leisure suit. "Dreamland Park" changes its name to "Seabreeze" and a new era begins.
1976, George Long, the Carver
1977, The Gyrosphere This Seabreeze-designed ride featured a Scrambler inside an inflatable dome - and later a tension structure. The custom light, sight & sound show was updated periodically, but the most remembered music is "Fire On High" by Electric Light Orchestra.
1992, Just Add Water Seabreeze begins adding water slides to its list of varied attractions in 1986. The combination of "wet and dry" attractions, a modern-day reflection of its proud history, continues to make the park one of the area's most popular destinations.
1996, A New Carousel is Born
After a devastating 1994 fire which destroys PTC #36 and other attractions nearby, the fifth generation of the Long family decides to build a new hand-carved carousel. This magnificent "revolving work of art" is the result of two years' hard work by a dedicated crew.
2004, A Spin on Things The debut of the unique Whirlwind spinning steel coaster is the perfect way to celebrate 125 years of fun. Other highlights of this time include the new Seabreeze Passport
Erected by Seabreeze.
Location. 43° 13.993′ N, 77° 32.619′ W. Marker is in Irondequoit, New York, in Monroe County. Marker can be reached from Culver Road. Marker is on inside walls of the open carousel shelter in Seabreeze amusement park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4600 Culver Road, Rochester NY 14622, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Leopold Lion (a few steps from this marker); On This Site - Over the Years (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named On This Site - Over the Years (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named On This Site - Over the Years (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named On This Site - Over the Years (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named On This Site - Over the Years (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named On This Site - Over the Years (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named On This Site - Over the Years (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Irondequoit.
Also see . . .
1. Seabreeze History - Seabreeze (Submitted on July 30, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Seabreeze Amusement Park - Wikipedia. (Submitted on July 30, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Entertainment •
More. Search the internet for The Seabreeze Time Line.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40. submitted on July 30, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.