Near Ingleside in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Holstein Friesian Cattle in Ontario
In 1881 Michael Cook, who operated a prosperous 200-acre farm here, imported the first Holstein Friesian cattle into Ontario. This was part of a movement among progressive farmers to find a breed of cattle that would produce enough milk for Ontario's growing dairy industry, especially cheese production. Initially Cook imported two bulls and ten cows. He continued to import Holstein cattle from the United States and The Netherlands, and distribute them throughout the province. The Holstein quickly established its reputation with Ontario farmers and, in 1886, the Dairymen's Association of Eastern Ontario recognized the Holstein as the leading milk-producing breed.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 44° 57.919′ N, 75° 2.022′ W. Marker is near Ingleside, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is on Morrison's Road, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located 1 mile south of Ontario Route 2 via Aultsville Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ingleside, Ontario K0C 1M0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 kilometers of this marker Loyalist American Regiments / Loyalists of the Indian Nations / Sir John Johnson (approx. 3.6 kilometers away); Battle of Crysler’s Farm 1813 (approx. 3.8 kilometers away); Battlefield of Crysler’s Farm (approx. 3.9 kilometers away); Battle of Crysler’s Farm (approx. 3.9 kilometers away); Wilson Hill Wildlife Management Area (approx. 5 kilometers away in the U.S.); Aultsville Train Station and Locomotive 1008 (approx. 5.3 kilometers away); St. Lawrence River and Massena (approx. 6.4 kilometers away in the U.S.); Sir James Pliny Whitney (approx. 8.3 kilometers away).
Categories. • Agriculture •
More. Search the internet for Holstein Friesian Cattle in Ontario.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.