Fort Laramie in Goshen County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
This 1885 photograph shows the buildings constructed on this site in 1881. Previous adobe structures, built in 1855, were left standing as rear wings. On the far left was the Commanding Officer’s residence. Between 1881 and 1890 it was successively occupied by the families of Colonels Meritt, Gibbon and Merriam and the only one equipped with inside plumbing, with a full bathroom upstairs and water piped into the kitchen. The other two buildings were customarily occupied by Lieutenants or Captains and their families.
RIGHT: Officer Quarters, 1887, looking southwest from the flagpole.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 42° 12.135′ N, 104° 33.539′ W. Marker is in Fort Laramie, Wyoming, in Goshen County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 160, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at Fort Laramie National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Laramie WY 82212, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Refinement at Fort Laramie (within shouting distance of this marker); C.O.’s Chicken Coop (within shouting distance of this marker); John (Portugee) Phillips (within Captain’s Quarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Administration Building (about 400 feet away); The “Government Workhouse” (about 400 feet away); Parade Ground (about 400 feet away); Reading, ‘Riting, and ‘Rithmetic (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Laramie.
Also see . . . Fort Laramie National Historic Site. (Submitted on August 11, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 11, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.