LeDroit Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Elks Columbia Lodge No. 85
African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC
1844 Third Street, NW
Columbia Lodge No. 85 of the Improved Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks of the World was incorporated in Washington in 1906, eight years after the parent organization was incorporated in Cincinnati, Ohio. Lodge No. 85's first meeting took place at the True Reformer Hall on U Street, NW. By the 1940s, the organization counted 3,000 members and was well known for its community service and grand parades. In 1925 the Elks purchased a large house at 301 Rhode Island Avenue. Forty years later they sold that headquarters and most of the land, retaining only the portion where they built this new lodge in 1968.
Location. 38° 54.906′ N, 77° 0.95′ W. Marker is in LeDroit Park, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on 3rd Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1844 3rd Street Northwest, Washington DC 20001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Voice from the South (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert and Mary Church Terrell House (about 400 feet away); The Prettiest Place (about 500 feet away); Government Girls T Street Elites (about 700 feet away); Christian Fleetwood and Sara Fleetwood Residence Site (about 700 feet away); Great Expectations (approx. 0.2 miles away); The University Next Door (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LeDroit Park.
Categories. • African Americans • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 264 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 14, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.