Lewiston in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels
Foundation Day: November 21, 1856. Feast of the Presentation of Mary.
Co-Founders: Most Reverend John Timon, C.M. First Bishop of Buffalo; and Reverend John J. Lynch, C.M. First President of SOLA, First Archbishop of Toronto.
First Location: St. Joseph's Orphan Asylum, Best Street, Buffalo, New York.
May 1, 1857: The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels moved from Best Street to Monteagle Ridge, overlooking he Niagara Gorge.
August 7, 1883: Grover Cleveland, Governor of New York, signed the document that granted The Semeinary of Our Lady of Angels a charter as a College and changed the name to Niagara University. The Seminary continued as a department of Niagara University.
October, 1961: The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels moved to Glenmont, Albany County, New York.
Spring, 1972: At the end of the academic year, The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels closed.
Location. 43° 8.204′ N, 79° 2.286′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is on Varsity Drive 0.1 miles north of University Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on the campus of Niagara University, along the south side of the Gallagher Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5795 Lewiston Road, Niagara University NY 14109, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Bailo Hall (1992) (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Vincent's Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lynch Hall (1927), O'Donoughue Hall (1909) (about 400 feet away); Alumni Hall / Chapel (about 500 feet away); Dunleavy Hall (about 500 feet away); Gacioch Family Alumni and Admissions Center (about 600 feet away); For God and Country (about 600 feet away); O'Shea Hall (1967), Seton Hall (1970) (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
Also see . . . Our History, Our Heritage - Niagara University. (Submitted on August 30, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 245 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.