Brockville in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
"Sally Grant" is the familiar name of the Statue of Justice which was conceived in 1841 by John G. Howard, the architect of this Court House, and carved by William Holmes, a Brockville carpenter and builder. The eleven foot high figure, made of cedar, stood on the roof of this Court House from 1845 to 1956, at which time it was taken down for safety reasons. The statue was not immediately repaired nor re-erected on the building but remained in storage until 1962 when it was taken to Westport, Ontario and donated to the Rideau District Museum. In 1978, at the request of the board of the Rideau District Museum, "Sally Grant" underwent extensive repair and rebuilding at the Canadian Conservation Institute in Ottawa. The refurbished carving was then returned to Westport where it is on permanent display at the museum.
During planning activities in 1981 for Brockville's Sesquicentennial, it was decided, with the co-operation of the Council of the United Counties of Leeds & Grenville, to have a replica of the original "Sally Grant" re-created for replacing on the Court House roof. This new statue or "Sally Grant II" was carved to the same dimensions as the original by sculptor Bob Kerr of Smiths Falls and set in place on the Court House roof as part of Brockville's Sesquicentennial celebrations.
Location. 44° 35.437′ N, 75° 41.132′ W. Marker is in Brockville, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker can be reached from Court House Square. Touch for map. Marker is located in the park across the street from the Court House, near the fountain. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41 Court House Square, Brockville, Ontario K6V 7N3, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leeds-Grenville County Court House (a few steps from this marker); Sir William Buell Richards (a few steps from this marker); Johnstown District Court House and Gaol (within shouting distance of this marker); James Morris (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Sir Isaac Brock. K.C.B. (within shouting distance of this marker); Ogle Robert Gowan, 1803-1876 (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Brockville Post Office (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Brockville "Van" or Caboose (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brockville.
More about this marker. The bottom of the marker states that it was dedicated by the Right Honorable Bora Laskin, Chief Justice of Canada but a plaque was added beneath stating that the Right Honorable Laskin
Categories. • Landmarks •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.