Medora in Billings County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Medora Depot & Railroad
The railroad reached the Little Missouri River in 1880. The Northern Pacific Railroad named the stop Pyramid Park.
When the Marquis de Mores and Theodore Roosevelt arrived in 1883, the train depot was on the west side of the Little Missouri River. In 1884, Northern Pacific Railroad trains began stopping in the new town of Medora, located on the east side of the river.
The depot building was situated near the present day Medora Convenience Store. The building was perpendicular to the railroad tracks, with the office and agentís window on the track-side of the building. This depot was destroyed by fire in 1925.
A depot building was moved in from Yates, Montana and used until 1968, when mail and passenger service was discontinued. The building was sold and dismantled.
In 1977, the City of Medora replicated the original depot.
(Marker Number 17.)
Location. 46° 54.793′ N, 103° 31.502′ W. Marker is in Medora, North Dakota, in Billings County. Marker is at the intersection of Pacific Avenue and 3rd Street, on the right when traveling east on Pacific Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medora ND 58645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Custer Trail (here, next to this Hunting and Trapping (here, next to this marker); Margaret Roberts (within shouting distance of this marker); Medora Education (within shouting distance of this marker); Medora Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Roberts Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The President Returns (within shouting distance of this marker); Stockmens State Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medora.
More about this marker. Two photographs of the Medora Depot appear on the marker, along with a map showing the route of the Northern Pacific railroad.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.