Falkirk in Stirlingshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
The Parish Church Graveyard
The graveyard was cleared in the 1960s leaving only a handful of memorials of historical significance. The grave of Sir John de Graeme who died at the Battle of Falkirk in July 1298 fighting alongside William Wallace is surrounded by a decorative iron structure placed there in the 1860s. The flat stone memorial to Sir John Stewart who fell in the same disastrous encounter lies close by and the granite Celtic Cross near the High Street gate is dedicated to the men of Bute who fought alongside Stewart. Further to the east stand the Munro and Edmonstone tombs from the Battle of Falkirk Muir fought in January 1746 between the victorious army of Bonny Prince Charlie and Government forces. At the east end of the church stands the Zetland tomb which was built on the traditional burial ground of the families of West Kerse including the Dundas dynasty, latterly the Earls of Zetland.
Erected by Town Heritage Trail.
Location. 55° 59.987′ N, 3° 47.177′ W. Marker is in Falkirk, Scotland, in Stirlingshire. Marker is on High Street. Touch for map. Located on the gate entrance to the Falkirk Trinity churchyard.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Bute Memorial (within shouting distance of this Sir John de Graeme (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Robert Munro (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir John Stewart (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain William Edmonstone and the Dollar Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir John De Graeme Memorial (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Battle of Falkirk Muir (approx. 2.2 kilometers away); Forth & Clyde Ship Canal (approx. 3.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falkirk.
Also see . . . Falkirk Trinity Church. (Submitted on September 2, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 2, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.