Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Tolbert Building
In honor of former Vice Mayor
John W. Tolbert, Jr.
The Tolbert building was originally two dwellings located at 6 and 8 Loudoun Street; built prior to 1796 on a part of lot no. 14, which was sold by Nicolas Minor to John Gladdin in 1758. Purchased by the town in 1967, it served as the town's police headquarters in the late 1970's and was converted to retail/office use in the early 1980's. In a public/private partnership with the town of Leesburg, Peter and Diana Burnett purchased the building and had it moved to this location on April 1, 1990.
John W. Tolbert, Jr., the first black person elected to public office in Leesburg, served on the council from 1976 to 1990 and served as Vice Mayor of the town from 1988 to 1990. Vice Mayor Tolbert was instrumental in forging the public/private partnership essential to the relocation and restoration effort for this building, which made way for the construction of the first public parking structure in Loudoun County.
Erected 1990 by Town of Leesburg.
Location. 39° 6.792′ N, 77° 33.875′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and Royal Street on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leesburg VA 20175, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dairy Barn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Osterburg Mill (about 400 feet away); Norman-Harding Barn (about 400 feet away); Log House (about 500 feet away); McKimmey's Mill (about 500 feet away); The Depot (about 500 feet away); Stationmaster's House (about 600 feet away); Leesburg Passenger Station (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
Categories. • African Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,205 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.