Brazoria in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The first traffic bridge, built across the Brazos River in this historic region in 1912, provided a vital link between eastern and western Brazoria County. Falling victim to the elements and lack of maintenance, the wood-decked bridge fell into the river in the 1930s.
Built in 1939, during the Great Depression, using local labor, county bond money, and funds from the Public Works Administration, this Brazoria Bridge sustains the historic transportation route. Nicknamed “The Bridge That Goes to Nowhere” before the soil embankments were built, this 1124' concrete and steel bridge has three Parker Through Truss spans. It is supported by concrete-filled caisson and concrete piling, and approaches composed of 14 concrete-supported
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9531.)
Location. 29° 3.435′ N, 95° 33.378′ W. Marker is in Brazoria, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker can be reached from County Road 373 west of Farm to Market Road 521. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brazoria TX 77422, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry Smith (approx. 1.1 miles away); Brazoria Fallen Heroes Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Oakland Plantation (approx. 5.9 miles away); Ellerslie Plantation (approx. 5.9 miles away); James Briton "Brit" Bailey (approx. 6˝ miles away); Munson Cemetery (approx. 6˝ miles away); "Brit" Bailey Plantation (approx. 6˝ miles away); M.L. Weems House (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brazoria.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Brazoria Bridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 30, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.