The Florence Mill
In 1856, Alexander Hunter began to operate this mill. Its products helped fill the demands created by the growing town of Florence, established in 1854 on the old site of Winter Quarters.
By 1870, Jacob Weber had acquired the operation. Flour became its most important product, and by 1880 steam had largely replaced water as the motive force. The mill was further modified in later years to meet changing demands, and it continued to operate under the direction of second and third generation members of the Weber family.
Spanning more than a century, the history of the Florence Mill reflects the important contribution of the milling industry to the development of Nebraska.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 20.61′ N, 95° 57.758′ W. Marker is in Florence, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of McKinley Street and 30th Street, on the left when traveling east on McKinley Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Omaha NE 68112, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Florence Mill (here, next to this marker); The Road to Zion (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mormon Pioneer Trail (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Meeting House for the Saints (about 400 feet away); From Indian Lands to the Golden Gate (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Little Town That Dreamed of Greatness (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Bank of Florence (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mormon Pioneer Memorial Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.