Montpelier in Bear Lake County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
A Look at Memory Lane
The building was built for Edward Burgoyne by Jacob Tueller and Sons prior to 1899. The Tuellers were pioneer emigrants from Switzerland where they learned the masons trade. The building was originally used as a general merchantile (sic) store and a Dr. Poynter ran a drug store on the ground floor. The upper floors were used for apartments.
In 1905, a big fire burned down all of the stores across the street to the south. Blankets were wet down and placed at the windows to preserve the Brennan-Davis Building. The Brennan-Davis store was one of the largest stores in Montpelier. They sold dry goods, carpets, rugs, draperies, children and ladies garments, gents furnishings, and a host of other articles which "dressy folks delighted in."
It later became Boise Payette, a lumber and hardware store continuing to the present day in a similar business as True Value Hardware.
Built in 1887 by Sam McCart and first known as the Arcade Hotel, the building was purchased in 1891 by Henry W. Hoff and renamed it the "Hoff Hotel". The hotel was located next to the Brennan-Davis Building. It was later sold to Harrison Hess and renamed the Rose
Consolidated Wagon and Machine Company
In 1902, the Cooperative Wagon and Machine Company and the Consolidated Implement Company merged to become Consolidated Wagon and Machine Company. Each of the two companies had been in business 15 years prior to the merger. The new building to house the new partnership was completed soon after March 14, 1902. The building was nicknamed the "Coni" building and the business concentrated on freighting, the sale of wagons, and farm implements. Ellis Straw managed the business for a number of years.
The current owner is Walton Feed, Inc. a major USA supplier of food storage items for individuals, families and organizations.
Frank Jones Building
The Frank Jones Building began as a meat market operated by Frank J. Jones. He built a one-story building and later added a second story. In 1893, history tells us that Frank Jones was married and that he traveled to his store on horseback each day. On the east side of the building, Will Crockett, married to Frank's wife's sister, operated a grocery store.
The store was originally a meat cutting establishment, with meat market and freezer lockers in the basement. The building once housed a dance floor and later a bowling alley on the second floor. Frank had a ranch and a slaughter house west of the railroad tracks. He raised the animals to sell at his store. Women in the county formed butter into one pound blocks and would bring the butter wrapped in oil paper to the store to trade for meat or groceries.
JC Penney Building
Built in 1912, JC Penney Company moved into the building soon afterwards opening the sixth store opened by the company. A 10-room hotel on the second floor also catered to the abundant railroad workers of the time. In the 1980's, the retail portion of the business closed although the catalog sales continued under a franchise agreement. This location is presently the second oldest continuing operational JC Penney in the world.
Thief and Olsen Building
The Burrell and Thief building was built in 1912 and later the Olsen brothers bought into the building. Later in 1958, TriState Incorporated opened as a general store that lasted for many years as a staple business and hub of the community. The building looks much the same as when it was built offering solid brick walls 1 foot thick at its base. The interior boasts hard wood floors and a beautiful tin stamped ceiling.
Erected by Greater Bear Lake Valley Chamber of Commerce, Montpelier Gem Community Team, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, The Bear Lake County Historical Society, USDA Rural Development Agency and Utah Power. (Marker Number 9.)
Location. 42° 19.049′ N, 111° 18.654′ W. Marker is in Montpelier, Idaho, in Bear Lake County. Marker is on Washington Street (U.S. 89) near South 10th Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1011 Washington Street, Montpelier ID 83254, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Strong Building, Stock Chevys and Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Cleaners, Hospital, Plumbers and a Big Bear (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Downtown Montpelier Historic Walking Tour (about 400 feet away); The Bank and The Burgoyne (about 400 feet away); Second Bank of Montpelier (about 400 feet away); Model T's, Odd Fellows and the News (about 500 feet away); News Examiner (about 700 feet away); Ritter Bros. Drug and the Roxy Theatre (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montpelier.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.