Canyon in Randall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Canyon
Despite a harsh environment characterized by snow, sandstorms, and grasshopper plaques, pioneer citizens pushed ahead. The first school, with 6 students, was organized in 1889. First telephone line was built in 1896, using barbed wire fence posts as poles. Church services were held from early days, with all groups worshipping in the courthouse. Arrival of the Santa Fe Railroad in 1898 also spurred town growth: In 1901, 1902, and 1908 Canyon is said to have shipped out more cattle than any other city in the world.
Canyon incorporated 1906 at the urging of Jasper N. Haney, lawyer, who was elected first mayor. More strides were made when an electric power plant was built 1908. It first ran only in the evening, but later was on in the afternoon - for women to do the ironing.
Canyon became an educational center in 1910 when West Texas State University was opened here. Since then, the two have advanced side by side.
Canyon citizens initiated Buffalo Lake Conservation Project, dedicated 1939, and have contributed greatly to the development of the entire Panhandle region.
Erected 1968 by State Historical
Location. 34° 58.839′ N, 101° 55.644′ W. Marker is in Canyon, Texas, in Randall County. Marker is on 16th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 16th Street, Canyon TX 79015, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canyon Fire Department (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Little House of Fellowship (about 300 feet away); Randall County (about 400 feet away); Randall County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Randall County World War I Memorial (about 500 feet away); First National Bank Building (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); The Smith Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canyon.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.