Near Canyon in Randall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Civilian Conservation Corps at Palo Duro Canyon State Park
The early veterans groups at the canyon were initially integrated, but the African American troops were reassigned to Sweetwater, Texas in 1934. Two companies of segregated African American enrollees arrived from east Texas in August 1935. the final group of workers to labor in the canyon was comprised of youth members, and when the group left
The projects completed by the CCC from 1933 until 1937 included public buildings (such as El Coronado Lodge) and cabins constructed of native sandstone, roads, bridges, culverts and hiking and bridle trails. Many of which are still in use today.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16005.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 34° 58.758′ N, 101° 41.481′ W. Marker is near Canyon, Texas, in Randall County. Marker can be reached from State Hwy Park Road 5 0.8 miles south of Texas Highway 217. Touch for map. Marker is at Palo Duro Canyon State Park visitor center. Marker is in this post office area: Canyon TX 79015, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old JA Ranch (approx. 0.7 miles away); High Water Mark (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Battle of Palo Duro Canyon (approx. 4.6 miles away); St. Paul Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 6.9 miles away); Town of Washburn Llano Cemetery (approx. 16.1 miles away); Amarillo Globe Dream House (approx. 16.4 miles away); Terry and Georgie Sneed Thompson House (approx. 16.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canyon.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for The Civilian Conservation Corps at Palo Duro Canyon State Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 13, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.