Owned by Anglo American Oil; Captain Allen McKenzie
Built in 1887 by Harland & Wolf, Belfast, Ireland.
Four masted steel bark
Length 329 ft-depth of hold 26 ft
Breadth 45 ft-Net Tonnage 2929
The Sindia en route from Kobe, Japan to New York City was stranded in Ocean City during a southeast storm on December 15, 1901. Just northeast of this site, she lies broadside to the boardwalk, with her bow pointing south, carrying a cargo of porcelain, fine china, bamboo matting, camphor oil, manganese ore and wax. The ship broke in half and flooded on the third day and much of the cargo was lost. There was no loss of life due to the heroic efforts of the Ocean City Live Saving Station, under the command of Captain J. M. Corson, which is still located on the corner of Fourth Street and Ocean Avenue. Artifacts and a video story of the Sandia can be seen at the Ocean City Historic Museum located in the Cultural Arts Center, 17TH Street and Simpson Avenue.
(Inscription in the box in the upper right)
This site has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 39° 16.11′ N, 74° 35.135′ W. Marker is in Ocean City, New Jersey, in Cape May County. Marker is at the intersection
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ocean City Tabernacle (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Ocean City Tabernacle (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Ocean City Historic District (approx. 1½ miles away); a different marker also named The Ocean City Historic District (approx. 1½ miles away); Rebecca and Sarah Stillwell (approx. 2.6 miles away); Bay Avenue Night Life (approx. 2.9 miles away); Somers Mansion (approx. 2.9 miles away); Getting Around Somers Point (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ocean City.
Categories. • Disasters • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 246 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 27, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.