Gaines in Orleans County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Lake Plain
Historic New York
After the Revolution a few settlers came from Canada but development awaited the formation of speculative land companies. The Pulteney Purchase and that of the Holland Land Company divided the area into tracts for settlement. Inhabitants fled the area for a time after the fall of Fort Niagara in the War of 1812. Then came the building of highways, some of which ran along old Indian trails. The Ridge Road, opened in 1809, became a principal east-west route. Completion of the Erie Canal in 1825 spurred the building of towns along its route and the growth of commerce. Here early settlers built unique cobblestone houses, many of which are still standing.
Geography and climate have favored fruit culture and made packing and canning a principal industry.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic New York marker series.
Location. 43° 17.143′ N, 78° 12.007′ W. Marker is in Gaines, New York, in Orleans County. Marker can be reached from Ridge Road (New York State Route 104) half a mile west of Oak Orchard Road (New York State Route 98), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in a public parking area. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14234 Ridge Road West, Albion NY 14411, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of John Proctor (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cobblestones (approx. half a mile away); At Left: Cobblestone House / At Right: Cobblestone House (approx. half a mile away); Gaines District No.5 1849 School House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Burial Ground (approx. 0.7 miles away); Niagara to Genesee Historic Ridge Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); Crossroads (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Academy (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaines.
Categories. • Agriculture • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 7, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.