Near Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
George C. Means Memorial Bridge
Crossing the St. Johns River at Lake Jesup impacted both travelers and the environment over the years. Prior to 1900, people and goods were almost exclusively transported on the St. Johns by steamboat, with several large wharves around Lake Jesup being served. Competition from the new roads and railroads gradually led to a decline in steamboat traffic. In 1911, Congress passed an act that protected navigation on Lake Jesup. A ferry served the Geneva to Sanford road north of the current bridge. Around 1915 the road was bricked and made 8 feet wide. In 1920 the river's channel was dredged between Lake Harney and Lake Monroe, still passing around the oxbow within Lake Jesup. The first bridge was constructed in 1927, limiting navigation to passing under the turnstile drawbridge. SR 46 was widened in 1946 and a bypass channel was dug; the draw-
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Location. 28° 47.221′ N, 81° 10.986′ W. Marker is near Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on Old Geneva Road north of State Road 46, on the right when traveling east. Marker is at the western approach to the bridge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sanford FL 32771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ramey Field (approx. 3.6 miles away); NAS Sanford/City of Sanford (approx. 3.6 miles away); RVAH 12 Speartips (approx. 3.6 miles away); The North American RA-5C Vigilante Naval Air Station - Sanford (approx. 3.7 miles away); Fort Reid 1836 (approx. 4½ miles away); Fort Reid (approx. 4½ miles away); Site of Fort Mellon (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Environment •
More. Search the internet for George C. Means Memorial Bridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.