Marble Hall in 1863
Marble Hall, the oldest building on Garrison Avenue, was built in 1859 by Ethelbert Britton Bright. Judging from the surviving newspapers ads, his mercantile store held the very wonders of the world, steadily supplied by steamboats docking at the foot of Garrison. The son of a missionary to the Osage tribe, Bright became fluent in their language. He came to Fort Smith in 1853 and set forth in business at a lightning pace. By 1857, he ran the Old Red Mill on Tenth Street, had married the niece of Stand Waite and built a mansion on Sixth Street. Marble Hall was used as a hospital during the Civil War. By 1862, Bright had enlisted in the 51st Arkansas Militia Regiment. Bright returned from the war and launched back into business but his obituary notes that he met with reverses and lived quietly until his death in 1890. Marble Hall has housed many businesses including a shooting gallery in 1900. Marble Hall was restored by Phil White in 1977.
Erected 2012 by City of Fort Smith and Others.
Location. 35° 23.316′ N, 94° 25.652′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reynolds - Davis Wholesale Grocery Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Vogel & Wallace (within shouting distance of this marker); W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fishback Block in 1872 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1908 Reunion of U.S. Marshals (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate [and] Union Occupation of Fort Smith (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bass Reeves - Lawman on the Western Frontier (about 500 feet away); Welcome to Fort Smith (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Smith.
Also see . . . Historical plaques placed in downtown Fort Smith. (Submitted on March 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 246 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.