Near Richland in Union County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Built in 1862 by soldiers and settlers as protection against renegade and hostile Indians.
Abandoned in 1868
Erected 1930 by Old Settlers Association of Union County, South Dakota.
Location. 42° 45.714′ N, 96° 40.434′ W. Marker is near Richland, South Dakota, in Union County. Marker is on State Highway 50 0.7 miles east of SD - 11, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elk Point SD 57025, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul Lutheran Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Richland Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Giants in the Earth Country (approx. 1.2 miles away); Elk Point (approx. 5.2 miles away); Lewis & Clark Campsite / Eli Wixson Farm Site (approx. 5½ miles away); Return to "Elk Sign" Campsite (approx. 5½ miles away); Entering an Uncertain Land (approx. 5½ miles away); A Land of Plenty (approx. 5½ miles away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2016, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 4, 2016, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.