Sparks in Washoe County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Glendale School (1864-1958)
“Oldest Remaining School Building in Nevada”
E. C. Sessions, the first teacher, organized the school and taught in his home until this building was constructed in 1864. Archie Bryant built the structure at a cost of $1,446 and it remains as a testament of his craftsmanship. The original Board of Trustees consisted of John F. Stone, William Steele and N. C. Haslund.
Over the years a great many Nevadans were educated at the Glendale School. Perhaps the most notable student was U. S. Senator Patrick A. McCarran.
The school building was relocated from its original site to this location in 1976.
Erected by Division of Historic Preservation & Archeology and Troop #76 of the Boy Scouts of America. (Marker Number 169.)
Location. 39° 32.073′ N, 119° 45.29′ W. Marker is in Sparks, Nevada, in Washoe County. Marker is at the intersection of Victorian Avenue and 10th Street, on the right when traveling east on Victorian Avenue. Touch for map. The schoolhouse is located in Lillard Park. Marker is in this post office area: Sparks NV 89431, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. James C. Lillard Railroad Park History (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chinese in Nevada (about 400 feet away); Southern Pacific Railroad Yards (about 600 feet away); Sparks (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Fight of the Century (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Reno Arch (approx. 3 miles away); Mizpah Hotel (approx. 3 miles away); Spanish-American War Memorial 1898-1899 (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sparks.
Regarding Glendale School (1864-1958). In 1976, the Glendale School was moved from the town of Glendale to the intersection of South Virginia Street and Kietzke Lane in Reno.
In 1993, the schoolhouse was moved again to its current location in Sparks. (Based on the wording on the marker, the marker was mounted on the schoolhouse while it was still in Reno.)
The Glendale School was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2016, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. This page has been viewed 136 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2016, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.