Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Perry Hall in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Harry Dorsey Gough

1745-1808

 

óMaryland History ó

 
Harry Dorsey Gough Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Marks, July 27, 2008
1. Harry Dorsey Gough Marker
This marker, located at the parking for Gunpowder Falls State Park north of Perry Hall, provides information about Harry Dorsey Gough. The bridge that spans the Gunpowder River near here is dedicated to Gough.
Inscription. The founder of Perry Hall, Gough owned a 1,300 acre estate that bordered the Gunpowder Falls. He dominated commerce in Northeast Baltimore County during the colonial period. An active supporter of the Methodist church, he sheltered Francis Asbury and others at the Perry Hall Mansion.
 
Erected 2004 by Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
 
Location. 39° 25.662′ N, 76° 26.643′ W. Marker is near Perry Hall, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Belair Road (U.S. 1) 2.4 miles north of Forge Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located at a parking lot for Gunpowder Falls State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Kingsville MD 21087, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gunpowder Falls State Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sweathouse Road (approx. ĺ mile away); Perry Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Germantown (approx. 1Ĺ miles away); Camp Chapel
Harry Dorsey Gough image. Click for full size.
By David Marks
2. Harry Dorsey Gough

(approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Harry Dorsey Gough (approx. 1.8 miles away); Saint Johnís Parish (approx. 2.1 miles away); Union of Brother and Sisters of Fordís Asbury Lodge No. 1 (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perry Hall.
 
Regarding Harry Dorsey Gough. Harry Dorsey Gough was a leading merchant and landowner during Baltimore County's colonial period. He completed construction of the Perry Hall Mansion, where he and his wife Prudence sheltered early Methodist leaders such as Francis Asbury.
 
Also see . . .
1. Perry Hall Online. (Submitted on July 27, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland.)
2. The History of the Perry Hall Mansion. (Submitted on July 27, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland.)
3. Harry Dorsey Gough: The Founder of Perry Hall. (Submitted on July 27, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraIndustry & CommerceNotable PersonsNotable Places
 
Harry Dorsey Gough Bridge image. Click for full size.
By David Marks, July 27, 2008
3. Harry Dorsey Gough Bridge
The bridge at Belair Road and the Gunpowder River was dedicated in honor of Harry Dorsey Gough in October 2004, following a request by the Perry Hall Improvement Association and a vote by the Maryland State Roads Commission. Gough is considered the founder of Perry Hall, Maryland. His property included the Perry Hall Mansion and this area in the late Eighteenth Century.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,650 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement