Marion in Marion County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Marion Presbyterian Church
David E.Frierson of Harmony Presbytery first preached here at Marion Courthouse in 1841. The church was organized in Feb. 1852 with six charter members: Archibald and Margaret Carmichael of Little Pee Dee Church, Rebecca E. Frierson of Great Pee Dee Church, Sophia E. McIntyre of Hopewell Church, Duncan J. McDonald from Smyrna, N.C., and David Gibson from Dairy, Scotland.
This house of worship, dedicated in February 1852, stands on land given by Archibald McIntyre. In 1913 Sunday School rooms were added on the west end of the original structure and new pews were purchased. The bell dates from 1911 and the organ from 1919. During the early 1970s, the church was renovated to include an enlarged sanctuary, new choir room and rear entrance. It was rededicated in April 1975.
Erected 1977 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 34-7.)
Location. 34° 10.579′ N, 79° 24.042′ W. Marker is in Marion, South Carolina, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and Presbyterian Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 South Main Street, Marion SC 29571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. To the Dead and Living Confederate Soldiers (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Town Hall and Opera House (about 600 feet away); Marion County / Marion Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Francis Marion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marion Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Veterans Memorial Triangle (approx. ¼ mile away); World War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 825 times since then and 47 times this year. Last updated on August 9, 2016, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1. submitted on October 25, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 2. submitted on August 9, 2016, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 25, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.