Palm Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cocoanut Grove House
The Cocoanut Grove House, once Florida’s only hotel on the east coast between Titusville and Key West, stood at this location. The hotel was originally built in 1876 by Elisha Newton “Cap” Dimick as a private residence for his family Dimick was one of the co-founders of Palm Beach. He served in the Florida State Legislature from 1890-1903 and as the town’s first mayor after its incorporation in 1911. The Cocoanut Grove House opened as an inn after Dimick added eight rooms to the building in 1880. In 1882, Dimick sold the hotel to Commodore Charles Clark. Approximately 4,500 guests visited the hotel between 1883 and 1895, arriving by the sharpie Illinois, a flat-bottom boat that sailed between the Indian River and Lake Worth. Hotel Guests dined on fish, green turtle, venison, and vegetables for $1.50 a day or $6 by the week. In 1893, Henry M. Flagler, who had decided to extend the Florida East Coast Railroad to Palm Beach, stayed at the Cocoanut Grove House. While visiting he envisioned his famous Royal Poinciana Hotel. Flagler later rented the hotel for his workers while they were building the Royal Poinciana. In October 1893 the Cocoanut Grove House was destroyed by fire.
Erected 2011 by The Seminole Chapter, NSDAR and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 26° 42.699′ N, 80° 2.602′ W. Marker is in Palm Beach, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Lake Trail and Pendleton Lane, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. To access marker, you must park at end of Pendleton Lane and walk out onto South Lake Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Palm Beach FL 33480, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sea Gull Cottage (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Royal Poinciana Chapel (about 700 feet away); Royal Poinciana Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Episcopal Church of Bethesda-By-The-Sea (approx. 0.4 miles away); Flagler Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old St. Ann's Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); 1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Former State of Florida Board of Health Laboratory c.1921 (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palm Beach.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.