Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1029 East Baltimore Street
In 1807 publisher William Pechin built an elegant, spacious residence here. The house became the Kelso Home for Orphans of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1874. The German Branch of the YMCA added a gymnasium during its tenure, 1889-1897. Soon after, the building was expanded to four stories and became Philanthropy Hall, a public meeting place.
The building hosted two institutions of the neighborhood's Jewish immigrant community in the early 20th century. In 1909 it became Baltimore's largest Hebrew school, or Talmud Torah. The Workmen's Circle, a club that promoted labor unions and Yiddish culture, took over in 1930. The club extended the building forward some eight feet and added an Art Deco facade. By this time, little of the original structure remained.
The Helping Up Mission continues the tradition of community
Location. 39° 17.435′ N, 76° 36.134′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker can be reached from East Baltimore Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1029 East Baltimore Street, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1023 East Baltimore Street (a few steps from this marker); 1017 - 1021 East Baltimore Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Lloyd Street Synagogue (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lloyd Street Synagogue (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); McKim Free School (about 400 feet away); B'nai Israel Synagogue (about 400 feet away); On to Yorktown (about 400 feet away); 1781 Friends Meeting House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for 1029 East Baltimore Street.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 31, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.