Denver in Denver County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Denver City Railway Building
—Lower Downtown Walking Tour —
Inscription. Originally built as the stables for the Denver City Railway Company in 1883, this building was the birthplace of Denver's Public Transportation system. Horse drawn trolleys, soon replaced by one of America's most extensive cable car networks, created the first Denver suburbs by allowing people of moderate means to "escape the city" and move to the quiet residential neighborhoods of Capitol Hill, Highlands, and Curtis Park. The first line of the Denver Horse Railroad Company, as it was originally called, ran up Larimer from 6th to 16th Street then out Champa Street to Curtis Park. The Welton Street Line, developed later, was purported to be the world's longest cable car line. In 1892, the building was purchased from the City Railway Company and its facade was changed by Baerreson Bros. Architects. In 1902, Hendrie and Bolthoff Manufacturing Company bought the stables for $100,000 in a sale contested by both Zang and Schlitz Brewers. One of the pioneer manufacturers of mining machinery, the company was founded in Central City, Colorado by Charles Hendrie. Hendrie and Bolthoff claimed to be the world's largest manufacturer of mining equipment while in this edifice. His son, Edward Beard Hendrie, incorporated the Denver Branch of the company in 1878, sold the Central City operation, and took on a partner in Henry Bolthoff, a loyal employee of his father since the age of 12 who could neither read nor write. In 1903, Edward Hendrie bought Baron Walter Von Richthofen's castle in Montclair. Hendrie & Bolthoff manufacturing remained here until
By Mark Hilton, July 28, 2016
1. Denver City Railway Building Marker
1971, 22 years before its renovation into residential loft and retail space.
By Mark Hilton, July 28, 2016
2. Former Denver City Railway Building
Marker is on wall of building, just to left of stop sign.
Erected by the Lower Downtown Historic District.
Location. 39° 45.167′ N, 104° 59.968′ W. Marker is in Denver, Colorado, in Denver County. Marker is at the intersection of 17th Street and Wynkoop Street, on the right when traveling north on 17th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1635 17th Street, Denver CO 80202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union Station Area (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Oxford Hotel and Annex (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward W. Wynkoop (within shouting distance of this marker); Barteldes, Hartig Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 18th St. Atrium / Littleton Creamery Beatrice Cold Storage Warehouse (about 500 feet away); C. S. Morey Mercantile Building (about 600 feet away); Henry Lee Building - 1907 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denver.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the Denver City Railway Building. (Submitted on September 2, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Animals • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.