Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The First Presbyterian Church
December 4, 1861, the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the United States was organized here.
In the Confederate War the church and grounds were used as part of a military hospital and temporary detention camp for prisoners of war.
The building was renovated in 1892. The Telfair building was added in 1881 for Sunday School. New Sunday school addition made in 1951.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 28.264′ N, 81° 57.856′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Telfair Street. Touch for map. Between 6th & 7th Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 646 Telfair Street, Augusta GA 30901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The First Presbyterian Church (here, next to this marker); Boyhood Home of Woodrow Wilson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eve (about 400 feet away); Old Medical College (about 400 feet away); Joseph R. Lamar, Associate Justice (about 400 feet away); Medical College Building (about 500 feet away); Paul Fitzsimmons Eve (about 500 feet away); Emily Tubman Monument (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Regarding The First Presbyterian Church. National Register Of Historic Places:
First Presbyterian Church of Augusta ** (added 1997 - - #97000100)
Also known as Christ Church
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Mills, Robert
♦ Architectural Style: Romanesque
♦ Area of Significance: Social History, Architecture, Religion
♦ Period of Significance: 1925-1949, 1900-1924, 1875-1899, 1850-1874, 1825-1849, 1800-1824
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Religion
♦ Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
♦ Current Function: Religion
♦ Current Sub-function: Religious Structure
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 886 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on August 2, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.