The first notable resident was Reverend Samuel Kennedy, a distinguished local minister and founder of a prestigious classical school who purchased the property in 1762. Later the property was acquired by Colonel Ephraim Martin, an officer in the Continental Army and highly respected politician who was instrumental in the ratification of the federal Bill of Rights. The Stelle family acquired the property in 1794 and farmed the land through 1852. The property was actively farmed for over 250 years before being acquired by Bernards Township in 1999.
Erected 2015 by Somerset County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
Location. 40° 39.492′ N, 74° 31.818′ W. Marker is in Basking Ridge, New Jersey, in Somerset County. Marker can be reached from King George Road (County Route 651). Touch for map. The marker is approximately 40 feet up the driveway from King George Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 450 King George Road, Basking Ridge NJ 07920, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
More about this marker. The Kennedy-Martin-Stelle Farmstead is a vestige of Bernard’s Township’s rural agricultural past. Dating back to the mid 18th century, the one-and-one half story farmhouse, with its Dutch framing system, typifies the regions early domestic architecture. The farmhouse contains evidence of its Colonial past, as well as Georgian, Federal, Victorian and Colonial Revival features. The four-bay 18th century barn, with a c.1840 addition, is a notable example of the English barn type. It exhibits hand-hewn rafters with pegged wind braces and a lower level stable at on end. The wagon house (c.1750-1820) exhibits both Dutch and English framing techniques.
Regarding Kennedy-Martin-Stelle Farmstead.
Categories. • Agriculture • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2015, by Thomas R. D'Amico of Somerville, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on October 25, 2016, by Thomas R. D'Amico of Somerville, New Jersey. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 23, 2015, by Thomas R. D'Amico of Somerville, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.