Hamburg in Ashley County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Ashley County Court House
Erected 1936 by Arkansas Centennial Comm., Arkansas History Comm. (Marker Number F-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Arkansas Centennial Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 13.571′ N, 91° 47.843′ W. Marker is in Hamburg, Arkansas, in Ashley County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 425) and East Adams Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 North Main Street, Hamburg AR 71646, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ashley County War Memorials (within shouting distance of this marker); Ashley County in the Civil War / 3rd Arkansas Infantry Regiment (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line).
More about this marker. One of 143 cast-iron markers placed across Arkansas in partnership with the Arkansas History Commission during the state's 1936 centennial.
Regarding Ashley County Court House. Before the county's first courthouse was erected, an eighteen by twenty-four foot public building was built on the southwest corner of the town square in 1849, at a cost of $200. It was a clerk's and sheriff's office. Most of the county's business was transacted there until the first courthouse was occupied.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 30, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.