Savannah in Andrew County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Savannah, the county seat, was laid out in 1841. First briefly called Union, it was renamed for Savannah, Ga., The Platte Co. R. R. (C. B. & Q.) reached therein 1860, and todayís Chicago, Great Western in late 1880ís. In the post Civil War years, the town grew as shipping point and trading center.
A divided county during the Civil War, Andrew sent troops to both sides. In Aug., 1861, some 1500 from Andrew and other counties joined the pro-Southern Mo. State Guard at Camp Highly in eastern Andrew County while others joined a large Union camp in adjacent Gentry County. In 1861, Union troops seized “Northwest Democrat,” a pro-Southern newspaper, in Savannah and troops from Camp Highly seized the “Plain Dealer,” Union newspaper. Raiding guerrilla bands overran the county through 1863.
Andrew Countyís glacial plains support fertile livestock, grain, and fruit farms. In the county are One Hundred and Two and Platte rivers and forming its west border are the Nodaway and Missouri. In 1804 the Lewis and Clark Expedition camped on an island at mouth of the Nodaway and members of fur trader Wilson P. Huntís 1811 Astorian expedition wintered near the riverís mouth.
Among county towns are Amazonia, once on the Missouri River, now inland, laid out in 1857 near site of Nodaway City, early river port; Fillmore, 1845; Whitesville, 1848; Rochester, 1848; Bolckow, 1868; Rosendale, 1869; Rea, 1877; Helena, 1878; and Cosby, 1882.
Andrew County is birthplace of Nellie Tayloe Ross, the first gov. of Wyo., 1925-1927, first Woman Dir. U.S. Mint; Joseph K. Toole (1851-1929) first Gov. of Mont.; W. Elmer Holt, Gov. Mont. 1935; Edwin W. Toole (1839 – 1905) noted Mont. Lawyer; Eugene W. Caldwell (1870 – 1918)noted roentgenologist. In Savannah lived John P. Altgeld, Gov. of Ill. 1893-97; Henry S. Kelly (1832 – 1911) legal textbook writer; James P. Somerville, one of founders of Sertoma Clubs International.
Erected 1960 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 39° 56.52′ N, 94° 49.802′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Missouri, in Andrew County. There is plenty of parking around the courthouse square. The marker is located on the north side of the Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 North Court Street, Savannah MO 64485, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Conglomerate Rock (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eugene Field's Lovers Lane (approx. 10.4 miles away); "Espyd. a wolf" (approx. 10.9 miles away in Kansas); The Lewis and Clark Expedition (approx. 11.4 miles away); William Mitchelhill (approx. 11Ĺ miles away); David Johnson Heaton (approx. 11Ĺ miles away); The Men of the Corps of Discovery / The Lewis and Clark Expedition (approx. 11.6 miles away); Joseph Robidoux at Roy's Branch (approx. 11.6 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Andrew County.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2011, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. This page has been viewed 871 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 17, 2011, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.