Britton's Neck/Britton's Ferry
One of the oldest settlements in Marion County, Britton's Neck lay between Great and Little Pee Dee Rivers extending northward from the mouth of Little Pee Dee. It was named for Francis, Timothy, Daniel, Moses, Joseph, and Philip Britton, who settled in the neck about 1735~36. They were the sons of Francis Britton, who was in Carolina by 1697.
Six miles south of here was the site of Britton's Ferry, on Great Pee Dee River at the junction of Williamsburg, Georgetown, and Marion County lines. The ferry was established by Francis Britton and two other commissioners under an Act of 1747. Britton's Neck was a center of patriot sympathy during the American Revolution, making the ferry important to both sides.
Erected 1971 by Dr. Henry Woodward Chapter, S.C. Society Daughters of the American Colonists. (Marker Number 34-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Colonists marker series.
Location. 33° 51.977′ N, 79° 20.097′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marion's Camp at Snow's Island (within shouting distance of this marker); Snow’s Island: Den of the Swamp Fox (approx. 1.7 miles away); Marion at Port’s Ferry / Asbury at Port’s Ferry (approx. 6.4 miles away); Witherspoon’s Ferry: Francis Marion Takes Command (approx. 6.8 miles away); Witherspoon’s Ferry / Johnsonville (approx. 6.8 miles away); Ebenezer United Methodist Church (approx. 7˝ miles away); Levister Elementary School (approx. 11.8 miles away); Pleasant Hill School (approx. 13 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Britton's Neck.
More about this marker. Marker has a paved pull of area for viewing
Categories. • Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Britton's Neck/Britton's Ferry.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,544 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.