Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Kevin W.
Taken: March 15, 2008
Caption: Spanish 18-Pounder Marker (left) and San Cayetano Cannons
Additional Description: The building in the background is Old Quarters No. 10 and No. 11, currently serving as the Naval Academy Administration Building. What looks like decorative cement balls on either side of the entrance are actually Stone Cannon Balls, "Type of 600 pound shot fired by Turks from their great guns" during the "conquest of Constantinople, 1453."
Submitted: April 16, 2010, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Database Locator Identification Number: p105154
File Size: 2.166 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.