Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Karen Key
Taken: October 2, 2007
Caption: Museum Entrance - Closeup of Sign
Additional Description: Pueblo Grande de Nevada
Existing today as a 30 mile-long series of adobe ruins, this "Lost City" was once the home of an ancient Anasazi Indian civilization. Beginning with the basket makers (300 B.C.-A.D.700) & followed by the the pueblos (A.D.700-1150) this valley was inhabited by a sedentary population of Anasazi farmers. They grew corn beans, squash and cotton on the valley floor (the high ground was used for housing) watered by the Muddy River which sources at Warm Springs, 25 miles north of here. Living in pithouses and later multi-room adobe pueblos, these people maintained a rich culture as manifest by archaeological records they left behind. The Lost City Museum was built in 1935 to preserve the remains of this great civilization which suddenly disappeared CA. A.D.1150, possibly due to severe, widespread drought.
Lost City Museum
Submitted: December 8, 2007, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California.
Database Locator Identification Number: p11502
File Size: 1.499 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.