Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Tim & Renda Carr
Taken: July 10, 2010
Caption: Site of the Hillman's Forge next to the blower house.
Additional Description: Hillman's Forge 1830
Uncovered by a University of Alabama archaeological team in 1990, this site is thought to have been Daniel Hillman's bloomery built in 1830. It was the birthplace of the Birmingham Iron and Steel District.
With construction of blast furnaces here in 1859, this structure may have been converted into a cupola for castings, a contention supported by the large number of tools and machine parts found in the excavation.
Submitted: September 27, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.
Database Locator Identification Number: p129717
File Size: 0.649 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.