Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Bill Kirchner
Taken: September 19, 2010
Caption: Becker's Transcontinental Garage
Additional Description: Marker is ingraved on a stone base seen between the two sections of the building.
The year that A.L. Westgard made the first coast to coast automobile trip the Becker family opened the first garage in Round Valley. Always alert to new business opportunities the Beckers built the west building with a native sandstone façade and adobe walls to house an auto business. In 1914 Edward Becker, son of pioneer merchant Gustav Becker, received his Ford Motor Company franchise to sell Model-T Fords and the oldest, continuously operated Ford dealership west of the Mississippi River was born. In 1915 the garage became Becker’s Transcontinental Garage. In 1927 – 1928 Becker Motors expanded with the new addition.
Submitted: September 29, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Database Locator Identification Number: p129937
File Size: 2.954 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.