Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Keith L
Taken: June 12, 2011
Caption: Paving the Way
Additional Description: [newspaper article, council minutes, paving contract]
In 1908 a group of Duluth residents, eager to improve streets in their Chester Park neighborhood, petitioned the city for granitoid pavement. Over the next three years the patented material was laid on several streets. At the same time the city made other improvements, installing sidewalks and creating the small park where you now stand.
The granitoid streets served Duluth for more than 90 years. When deterioration set in, local preservationists worked to keep two blocks of the historic paving in place on Seventh Street. Other fragments were salvaged and installed here in 2004.
Submitted: July 3, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Database Locator Identification Number: p160062
File Size: 2.497 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.