Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: The Cumberland Valley Railroad Marker; Courtesy of Stephen G. Donches
Caption: (Lower left picture)
Additional Description: The locomotive "Pioneer " was manufactured in 1851 and served the line between Hagerstown and Chambersburg. When the Civil War brought heavier, longer trains full of war supplies and soldiers, Pioneer was not strong enough to handle the load and was retired to yard use. The Pennsylvania Railroad donated to the Smithsonian Institution. In 2010, it was delievered for restoration and display to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum in Baltimore.
Submitted: August 4, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Database Locator Identification Number: p166002
File Size: 0.048 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.