Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Mike Stroud
Taken: July 18, 2011
Caption: The Churchyard
Additional Description: The design of the churchyard and its original plantings are the work of Joseph Blount Cheshire, rector of Calvary from 1842 until 1889, who collected plants from all over the world to create this arboretum. The wall that encloses it was erected
in 1926 by David Pender as a memorial to his parents. Among those interred here are Cheshire and his son, Joseph Blount Cheshire, Jr., fifth Bishop of North Carolina; Henry Toole Clark, Governor of North Carolina from 1861 to 1862; and William Dorsey Pender, one of the youngest generals in the Confederate Army.
Submitted: August 20, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Database Locator Identification Number: p168497
File Size: 0.543 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.