Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Keith L
Taken: October 2, 2010
Caption: Historical Photos
Additional Description: [right marker]
Montello's second high school built in 1896 on the present day water tower hill overlooking the thriving community. At the turn of the century, the building became the grade school and served as such until 1963 when Forest Lane Elementary was built. The old school was torn down in the early 1970's after many years of educational service. •
The M.M. Smart block was a Montello landmark constructed on this site in 1909. The building began as a general store and was later a grocery. Upper floor businesses included a dentist (Dr. Hugh Grant) and a beauty shop. The American House Hotel and its horse barn occupied the site from the early 1870's until it was destroyed by the fire near the turn of the century. •
A Montello street parade dated Aug. 2, 1911, heading east up Nebraska Street (now Montello Street). The photo looks west toward Buffalo Lake. •
A picnic party locking through at Montello bound for Marquette in the Fox River in the early 1900's.
Submitted: February 29, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Database Locator Identification Number: p194693
File Size: 1.338 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.