Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Southern Bargain House, Richmond, Va.
Taken: Circa 1923
Caption: Howitzer Monument (Park Ave. and Harrison St., Richmond, Va.
Additional Description: This characteristic monument represents a typical artillerymen at 'Position No. One.' It was unveiled Dec. 13, 1892, and is an excellent example of the work of W.L. Sheppard, a gifted sculptor of Richmond, Va. The Howitzers were organized in Richmond in November, 1859, and saw their first service during the days of the John Brown excitement. The original armament of the organization (and hence its name) consisted of mounted naval or boat howitzers, drawn by the cannoneers. The battalion eagerly embraced the cause of the Confederacy at the out-break of the Civil War, and rendered gallant and effective services throughout the entire period of that conflict. VCU Libraries Digital Collections - Rarely Seen Richmond
Submitted: May 10, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Database Locator Identification Number: p203404
File Size: 0.120 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.