Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Courtesy Old Guardhouse Museum
Taken: Circa 1896
Caption: Historic view of Fort Clark's Guardhouse
Additional Description: A lone sentinel of the guard stands at attention in his white helmet and white duck trousers, while his fellow soldiers gather on the porch. The Guardhouse was finished in 1874 as part of the expansion of the post. This building was the heartbeat of the garrison, as it never closed. Most soldiers who served at Fort Clark experienced this building while on guard duty or more unluckily as a prisoner. In the center of the picture is a caisson, further left a field piece, and the square building to the rear is a company sink or latrine.
Submitted: May 16, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.
Database Locator Identification Number: p204039
File Size: 0.696 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.