Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Bill Pfingsten
Taken: June 8, 2012
Caption: The Transfer House 1892
Additional Description: Decatur's first Transfer House was built by the City Electric Railway Company and was a small 18 by 20 foot wooden building. To avoid losing the transfer location to the nearby "New Square" (now known as Central Park), business leaders pulled together to raise funds and construct a more prominent building. Lincoln Square business owners were persuaded to pay a subscription and were rewarded with a business advertisement painted on the ceiling of the structure. City Council then matched the funding totaling $3,080.84 ($2,830,000.00 in 2010 dollars) just $0.50 under the projected cost.
Submitted: June 28, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Database Locator Identification Number: p209768
File Size: 1.144 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.