Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Mike Stroud
Taken: July 10, 2012
Caption: Fort George Island Marker near the north end of Fort George Road
Additional Description: Fort George Island Cultural State Park -
Native Americans feasted here, colonists built a fort, and the Smart Set of the 1920s came for vacations. A site of human occupation for over 5,000 years, Fort George Island was named for a 1736 fort built to defend the southern flank of Georgia when it was a colony. Today´s visitors come for boating, fishing, off-road bicycling, and hiking. A key attraction is the restored Ribault Club. Once an exclusive resort, it is now a visitor center with meeting space available for special functions. Behind the club, small boats, canoes, and kayaks can be launched on the tidal waters.
Submitted: August 13, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Database Locator Identification Number: p215280
File Size: 1.102 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.