Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Allen C. Browne
Taken: June 16, 2013
Caption: One-Room School
Additional Description: Port Republic School No. 7, built about 1870 and closed in 1932. One teacher usually taught seven grades. Children walked to school from as far as three miles away. In the 59 similar schools throughout Calvert County, enrollment averaged about 30.
This building was restored in 1977 by the Calvert Retired Teachers Association.
Calvert County Historical Society Board of County Commissioners and Maryland Historical SocietyNearby Historical Marker
Submitted: June 17, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Database Locator Identification Number: p244924
File Size: 1.949 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.