Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Howard C. Ohlhous
Taken: May 3, 2013
Caption: The Hayes House in Altamont
Additional Description: The Hayes House on Fairview Ave. in Altamont was built by carpenter Earl W. Teter in 1910 for Miles Hayes (1856-1925). Hayes was a progressive small town miller who was in his day the magnate of the community. He had his first home moved to the adjacent lot to the east in order to have his new home beside his mill business between the D&H railroad tracks and the house. In 1971 the Hayes House was donated to the Altamont Fair, and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 17, 1973. This fully furnished Victorian home was turned into a museum that was open to the public during the Fair and the Fair's Christmas celebration. The Fair sold the house to Jeff and Jackie Genovesi in 2003, and there was a new owner in 2013.
Submitted: September 28, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.
Database Locator Identification Number: p255330
File Size: 1.780 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.