Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Barry Swackhamer
Taken: December 16, 2013
Caption: Pony Express plaque in the lobby of the Trans-America Building
Additional Description: The Pony Express
1860 – 1861
Western Terminus No. 2
This was the location of the building known as the “Montgomery Block”. It was originally called the Washington Block when built. On October 3, 1860 it became the new headquarters of the Central Overland California & Pike’s Peak Express Company that owned and operated the 1860-1861 Pony Express. They had moved here and operated out of Olney’s Washoe Stock Exchange at this site.
Sponsored by Bill & Jo Pasley, Steven & Rhonda Hembree, Joseph L. Schroeder and the Pony Express Trail Association, Joe Nardone – Historian
Submitted: December 19, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Database Locator Identification Number: p262734
File Size: 3.760 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.